HEALTH. STRENGTH. POSITIVITY.
I literally can't believe I am sat writing this half way through 2016. The first six months of this year have absolutely flown by, but it's safe to say this year is shaping up to be one of the best years of my life. I have never really been a big believer of the whole "new year, new me" mantra, but bizarrely that is exactly how I would describe the transformation that my mind has undergone over the past six months. The beginning of 2015 was what really sparked a change in me, and I barely recognise the girl I was 18 months ago, but despite the numerous changes I made last year, 2016 has already surpassed my incredible 2015 transformation. The path my outlook has journeyed on, the increase in my strength, how at peace I finally feel with myself and food is greater than I ever imagined...
When I started on this crazy journey I never believed I would be where I am today. I never thought fitness would become such a large part of my life, that I would love how empowering it feels to lift a bar and be able to hold it above your head, to be able to squat far more than my body weight, deadlift 100kg, swim for longer, complete WODs faster, jump higher, and most surprisingly of all: love every minute of it. I hope my strength, athleticism and positivity only continues to improve with time. For the first time EVER in my recovery, I can finally say that I really do feel at peace with the demons I have battled for so long. Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't the end. I know there will be ups and downs ahead of me and the journey so far definitely hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows. There were numerous periods of time where I slipped back into the dangerous cycle that I fought very hard to stay away from, but the important thing to take from this is every time this happened, I got myself back out.
A quotation that has always been my favourite:
"I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say; because of you, I didn't give up"
I didn't start my blog to be that person, I started my blog because so many other people had been that person for me. Sometimes things happen in life that are beyond our control and it is at these times that it can be harder than ever to carry on fighting. But whatever it is, it is a fight you can win, and that is something I have proven to myself time and time again.
In light of the battles I have fought, the changes I have made and the positivity that I currently feel, (that and the fact that today I'm feeling a bit under the weather and am currently tucked up in bed in my dressing gown so could do with a few motivational thoughts myself), I've decided to write a little list of 5 more of my favourite quotes or mantras that have helped me to remain positive even when things don't feel so great:
001. 'You could be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world and there's still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches'
002. 'Just because you don't look like somebody who you think is attractive doesn't mean you aren't. Flowers are pretty, but so are Christmas lights and they look nothing alike'
003. My mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I wen got school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life'
004. 'If today were the last day of your life, would you do what you are about to do today?'
005. 'A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because her trust lies not in the strength in the branch, but in the strength of her own wings'
Happy Sunday lovelies,