If you are a frequent reader of my blog, or follow me on instagram, then you will already be aware of the number of allergies that I live with. Along with these, I try to limit my refined sugar intake as much as possible. However, this can really limit food options, especially when you want more of a 'treat'. Having discovered Nakd bars fairly soon after my wheat allergy diagnosis I became a woman obsessed. As nice as these raw, gluten free and refined sugar free treats are, they come with a pretty hefty price tag and the pennies soon add up if you are frequently purchasing them. Because of this, and having noticed that a number of the bars contain very few ingredients I was inspired to try and make my own, combining my two favourite flavours 'Cashew Cookie' and 'Cocoa Crunch' to make my own 'Cocoa Cookie' flavour.
Ingredients (makes approximately 14 bars):
250g pitted dates
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
40g gluten free soya crispies (can be substituted for rice crispies)
20g 90% or more dark chocolate
1. Use a food processor or Nutribullet to blend the cashews into powder form (depending on how smooth or rough you want the texture of your bars you can leave these as slightly larger chunks)
2. Add the dates to the processor and blend together
3. Add the crispies and cocoa powder and blend once more
4. Press your mixture into a baking tray or into a loaf tin and press down hard to compress the mixture into the corners. This is a sticky process but the stickiness of the dates is what holds your bars together so don't worry if this seems a bit messy!
5. Melt your dark chocolate and drizzle or spread over the top of your baking tray mixture.
6. Place in the fridge for 5 hours, or freezer for 1 hour to let the bars set
7. Cut and serve :)
(These are best kept refrigerated and will last for around a week after making!)
Each of these bars is gluten free, refined sugar free, raw and super easy to make! Leave your comments below and let me know if you've tried making these yourself and what you think!