On Friday I turn 21. For some reason 21 is perceived as the beginning of 'true adulthood'. I've decided to spend a little time reflecting on how amazing my 21 years so far really have been, and picked out 21 things that I have to be grateful for in my 21 years of existance:
1. Friends who have helped me through dark times, laughed with me through amazing times, always been there and never failed to put a smile on my face.
2. Family who have unconditionally supported every decision and loved me regardless of the mistakes I've made.
3. The letters Jonny leaves on my pillow when I fall asleep before he goes home.
4. The amazing opportunities that my blog has given me, and the incredible friends I have made through it.
5. I'm grateful for the outlet that writing has provided for me. Writing letters, diary entries and prose to myself, for myself.
6. Disposable camera photos, for reminding me to stop worrying about perfection and start concentrating on the smaller more beautiful moments in life.
7. The amazing travelling opportunities I have had; Japan, America, Dubai, Iceland, Africa just to name a few.
8. Early mornings for the peace and serenity they bring.
9. My creativity for giving me an outlet when I didn't have the confidence to express myself with words.
10. My dad and the incredibly introverted mind I inherited from him, teaching me the importance of hard work and perseverance.
11. The texts my mum sends me every night before bed telling me she loves me, and the cuddles she gives me every day.
12. I'm grateful for my health, for my ability to get out of bed every morning and experience life to its fullest potential.
13. The amazing 13 years that I got to spend with the bravest man I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. My Grandad taught me that no dream is too small.
14. The chance to live in a country where as a woman I was treated to an amazing education and equal opportunities.
15. I'm grateful for my brother who taught me that other people's opinions aren't important and it's ok to accept yourself as you are.
16. Sunsets for the reminder that when life seems dark, the light will always come back again.
17. The Northern Lights. The most spectacular phenomenon I've ever experienced, reiterating that true beauty is natural.
18. Books for being my best friend as a child.
19. Second chances. And third chances. And most importantly the people that have given me these chances to try again.
20. Having food, clothes and a warm home to come back to every night.
21. My mind, for finally learning to love myself and be my own cheerleader.